NCOP postpones NW oversight visit
OLEBOGENG MOTSE
14:51 Fri, 14 Sep 2018
NCOP postpones NW oversight visit | News Article
The National Council of Province’s (NCOP) Ad Hoc Committee responsible for monitoring National Government’s intervention in North West has pushed back its oversight visit to the province.


NCOP Chief Whip, Seiso Mohai, says the oversight visit which was set to take place this month had to be rescheduled “due to challenges with internal arrangements and coordination”. Mohai says the visit will instead take place from 16 to 19 October and the additional time will be used to “broaden their current programme” to include meetings with all the relevant parties to talk about issues in the province. 

The North West province was placed under administration in May this year as violent service delivery protests rocked the province. Government service came to a grinding halt. Allegations of corruption at several departments under the watch of the former Premier, Supra Mahumapelo, pushed cabinet to invoke Section 100 (1) of the Constitution. Mahumapelo then resigned.

The Office of the Premier, as well as five provincial departments, including the strained Health Department and the Department of Education and Sports Development, were all placed under full administration while five other departments, including the Departments of Finance, Economy and Enterprise, continue to operate under the management of the team of ministers tasked with stabilising the province. 

It has been reported that some of the departments are struggling to implement the turnaround strategies and that it will take time, years even, to turn service delivery in the province around. Towards the end of August, Premier Job Mokgoro announced that eight of the municipalities had been placed under administration, beginning September 1. 

This move came on the back of numerous complaints from opposition parties which described some of the municipalities in the province as “dysfunctional”. The Ad Hoc Committee stressed in its statement that the visit will take place and it has not been cancelled, contrary to media reports.


OFM News


Related Articles:

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more