This is according to the spokesperson for the Hawks in the North West, Tlangelani Rikhotso, who said the duo will now appear at the Brits Magistrate’s Court on 26 April for their bail application. This comes after the suspects, Clive Melville and Petrus Steyn, who are 58-years-old and 60-years-old respectively, appeared in the North West court yesterday following their arrest by the Hawks on Saturday.
They were arrested after the Hawks received a tip-off that the vehicle they had been travelling in from a coastal province was carrying a considerable number of rhino horns. The Hawks then confiscated the vehicle and horns which were in their possession, which are said to be worth a substantial amount of money. “The rhino horns were destined for the South East Asian markets. Rigorous investigations of the two suspects, as well as the value of the horns, are still ongoing. Further details on the incident will be communicated in good time,” said the Hawks in an earlier statement.