CentralSA#Fire at NW old age home under investigation
─── LUCKY NKUYANE 15:43 Mon, 18 Oct 2021
The Department of Public Works and Roads has on Monday commenced with its investigations over the cause of a fire at a North West old age home.
MEC for Social Development, Boitumelo Moiloa, previously said residents of an old age home in Sonop in Madibeng survived a fire that destroyed a single room in that particular old age home. The fire broke out in a frail care unit at an old age home but no casualties were reported. In total, 44 beneficiaries in the frail care unit were evacuated safely and none of the officials was injured following the fire on Friday.
Meanwhile, police spokesperson, Aafje Botma, tells OFM News that the police are currently investigating the cause of the fire.
Moiloa said she is pleased that no injuries or fatalities were reported during this incident but at the same time, they are reeling in shock following the incident.
“According to the officials who were on duty, a fire broke out in one of the rooms of a female beneficiary on Friday afternoon and completely destroyed one room, as well as the articles in that room. However, there was no loss of life or injuries to anyone in the inferno. Nearby residents came in and managed to control the fire after hectic efforts,” she added.