Central SABloemfontein-based journalist laid to rest today
─── OLEBOGENG MOTSE 12:48 Sat, 01 Jun 2019
The 41-year-old Free State journalist, Junior Bonase, whose lifeless body was found lying next to the N1 near Heuningspruit last week, is being laid to rest in his hometown of Springfontein today.
Bonase – an award winning journalist - was based in Bloemfontein, working for community paper Dumelang News at the time of his death. The circumstances surrounding his death continue to be unknown following an inconclusive autopsy report. All that is known for now is that he was heading to Parys to follow up on a story when he died. Police spokesperson, Thandi Mbambo, told OFM News previously that a second post-mortem will be carried out on Bonase’s body, while other samples have been referred to Pretoria for further forensic tests. The outcome of the latest post-mortem and forensic test are not yet known. Meanwhile, a case of culpable homicide has been registered for further investigation.
During a memorial held for the deceased on May 30, at the Floreat Hall in the Bram Fischer building, fellow communicators and journalists described Bonase as a humble, dedicated and hardworking man. Sechaba Maphalla, Head of Comminications at the Premier's office, said the media and communication fraternity have lost a soldier who was willing to go beyond the call of duty. He says during their interactions he saw a strong person who loved telling stories and making a difference to his society. Mondli Mvambi, department of health spokesperson, says he still can't believe that Bonase is no more. He urged the family to accept his death and uphold his legacy.
Bonase’s body was discovered by a passer-by and he allegedly had bruises to his face.
Police are yet to respond on the outcome of the second autopsy.