Central SA
Free State Sopa budget cut by 25%─── KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 15:37 Wed, 18 Feb 2026
The Free State Provincial Legislature has reduced the budget for the upcoming state of the province address (Sopa) by 25% compared to last year.
Speaking at a media briefing held at 41 Charlotte Maxeke Street in Bloemfontein on Wednesday (18/2), Speaker Mxolisi Dukwana, alongside senior legislature officials, confirmed the province’s readiness for the event. Free State Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae is set to deliver her third Sopa at the Old Grey Sports Grounds on Friday, 20 February, at 10:00.
During her address, she is expected to outline government priorities for the year ahead and provide feedback on commitments made in last year’s address.
This year’s theme is: “A year of decisive action to fix local government and transform the economy.”
The provincial government aims to significantly reduce expenditure on major events such as the Sopa going forward and redirect funds toward essential service delivery, said Dukwana. Last year’s address cost nearly R4.5 million.
“This year, we hope that after everything, it will not be more than R3.5 million, but we are looking at R3.3 million. We want to reduce this more and more, using technology to ensure we reach out to people,” he said.
Deputy Speaker Nolitha Ndungane addressed security arrangements and outlined how the programme will be managed.
More than 1,200 guests are expected to attend the 2026 Sopa. Attendees will include 30 members of the provincial legislature, six national council of provinces delegates, 50 media representatives, and approximately 400 staff members, including the security cluster.
The Old Grey venue has a maximum capacity of 5,000 people, and Ndungane stressed that all attendees will be comfortably accommodated. The seating arrangement will follow a formal house setup, with a luncheon and performances scheduled after the official proceedings.
• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline: 066 487 1427.


