On Now
Weekdays 12:00 - 15:00
At Lunch James
Show Background
NEXT: 15:00 - 18:00 The Joyride with Nico, Nikki and JayBee
Listen Live Streams

Central SA

Mogotsi remains in custody before bail hearing

───   KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 11:26 Mon, 18 May 2026

Mogotsi remains in custody before bail hearing | News Article
Brown Mogotsi in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court. Photo: Screenshot

A controversial North West political fixer and self-proclaimed undercover police agent will remain behind bars until Monday (25/5) after his case was postponed in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court for a formal bail application.

Brown Mogotsi made his first court appearance today since being arrested shortly after concluding his testimony before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry on Friday. He is facing numerous firearm-related charges.

Gauteng NPA spokesperson Magaboke Mohlatlole confirms these include unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, discharging a firearm in a built-up area, defeating the ends of justice, and perjury.

On 3 November, Mogotsi allegedly reported to police that while driving alone in Vosloorus, he was pursued by occupants of a bakkie who allegedly fired multiple shots at his vehicle, forcing him to stop and flee on foot.


Police launched an investigation into the alleged attempted murder. However, investigations subsequently revealed Mogotsi allegedly deliberately stopped his vehicle, exited it while armed with a firearm, and fired multiple shots at his own car.

Mogotsi also allegedly made a false statement under oath in an affidavit deposed before a commissioner of oaths, claiming unknown assailants had shot at his vehicle.

During court proceedings, the state requested a seven-day postponement to verify Mogotsi’s residential address, which the prosecutor said was only handed to the state by his legal team on Monday morning (18/5).

He argued logistical arrangements still had to be made because the address was in North West. The prosecutor said the state would not oppose bail, depending on the outcome of the address verification process.

Mogotsi’s lawyer, Makau William Sekgatja, argued the investigating officer had previously visited the accused’s business premises in March, which he said were not far from Mogotsi’s residence.

Sekgatja requested that the matter be postponed to Thursday instead, noting his client had already spent the weekend behind bars.

The state, however, maintained while the investigating officer had previously visited Mogotsi’s business premises, the defence could have provided the residential address over the weekend to allow for earlier verification.

Mogotsi’s legal troubles appear set to deepen following his testimony before the commission of inquiry into allegations linked to corruption and procurement irregularities.

On Friday, the commission dismissed Mogotsi’s application to have chief evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson SC recuse himself from proceedings.

During testimony, Mogotsi admitted he lied at the commission’s March hearings involving ANC-linked businessman Suleiman Carrim. “I began by suggesting he (Chaskalson) ask about a meeting between myself, (R2b Tembisa Hospital scandal-linked businessman) Morgan Maumela, and Suleiman (Carrim), a meeting which never took place.”

The commission has since recommended that Mogotsi be referred to the police for investigation into allegations of perjury, forgery, and related offences, including possible contraventions of the Commission’s Act and its regulations.

OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi cvs

• Do you have a news tip to share? Call or whatsapp the OFM News line: 066 487 1427.

@ 2026 OFM - All rights reserved Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | We Use Cookies - OFM is a division of Central Media Group (PTY) LTD.