Central SA
‘Show me the money’: Olly Mlameli calls for proof of asbestos payoff─── KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 08:23 Sat, 22 Aug 2026
The Former Free State human settlements MEC has challenged the state to prove that any money from the controversial R255 million asbestos roofing project was deposited into her personal account, insisting that she never stole from the public purse.
Olly Mlamleli, who is among 18 accused in the long-running case, addressed journalists outside Court L of the Free State High Court on Thursday (20/8), shortly before appearing alongside former Free State premier Ace Magashule, businessman Edwin Sodi and other accused.
The accused face charges including fraud, corruption and money laundering linked to the 2014 asbestos roofing project, which was intended to eradicate asbestos roofing from low-cost houses across the province. Mlamleli said she remains confident her innocence will ultimately be proven.
‘How much did they get from my account?’
“Remember the judge said we must come today and our attorneys must not be here because they are looking at the costs. We are here, and we are still here, but there is still one question that you have never answered for me.
“How much did they get from my account? How much did you see from my personal account? People are saying I’m part of the people that have stolen money.” The project, which was estimated at R255 million, has become one of the most controversial corruption cases in the Free State. The state alleges money linked to the project was unlawfully diverted and laundered.
Magashule and Mlamleli, among others, have denied wrongdoing and maintain they will clear their names. Mlamleli also referred to evidence presented during the Zondo Commission, saying the current Free State legislature speaker, Mxolisi Dukwana, stated she had allegedly received about R1 million.
“At the Zondo Commission I heard Mxolisi Dukwana there saying there’s something eaten somewhere by somebody, that I received about a million. I looked at my account; they looked at my account; there’s nothing. So is Madlanga also going to deal with our case? I don’t know because that’s where I think we will see the truth.”
Dukwana, a long-time political adversary of Magashule, had previously testified the R255 million price tag for auditing approximately 300,000 low-cost houses at R850 per unit was arbitrary.
He had told the commission the amount had allegedly been determined before assessments or evaluations of the housing stock were conducted.
Dukwana also described Magashule as a “blesser”, alleging the former premier sourced funds for associates from a businessman who was awarded a multimillion-rand asbestos contract by the provincial human settlements department. The 2014 project was subsequently labelled an “asbestos heist” during testimony.
Meanwhile, Magashule has continued to express frustration over delays in the case, maintaining the charges against him are politically motivated. The former ANC secretary-general and ACT leader said they are ready, with his legal team, to proceed with the trial, and he wants the opportunity to hear and challenge the evidence presented by state witnesses.
Dukwana, who was a prominent political opponent of Magashule in the ANC in 2019, previously told OFM News he did not harbour bitterness towards the former ANC secretary-general.
He maintained his position was based on holding those responsible for wrongdoing to account and insisted he had not failed in his role as an MEC in the province.
OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi dg
• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline: 066 487 1427.



