On Now
Weekdays 12:00 - 15:00
At Lunch Ashmund
Show Background
NEXT: 15:00 - 18:00 The Joyride with Nico, Nikki and JayBee
Listen Live Streams

Central SA

‘It’s really waste of time’: Magashule frustrated as asbestos case stalls

───   KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 12:57 Thu, 20 Aug 2026

‘It’s really waste of time’: Magashule frustrated as asbestos case stalls | News Article
ACT leader and former ANC secretary general Ace Magashule in the Free State High Court in Bloemfontein. Photo: Kekeletso Mosebetsi

Former Free State premier Ace Magashule has again questioned delays in the R255m asbestos roofing case and maintains his innocence.

The former ANC secretary-general and current African Congress forTransformation (ACT) leader appeared with his co-accused in the Free State High Court in Bloemfontein on Tuesday (18/8). Judge Phillip Loubser postponed the criminal matter to 18 January.

The case relates to a controversial R255m Free State government contract for the assessment and removal of asbestos roofing during Magashule’s tenure as premier. His former personal assistant Moroadi Cholota and several other individuals and companies are also accused in the matter.

Presiding over the R255m Asbestos roofing corruption case in the Free State High Court, Judge Phillip Loubser. Photo: Kekeletso Mosebetsi

During proceedings, Magashule asked that the matter rather be postponed to April next year to avoid further interruptions once the trial gets underway. Loubser ruled that proceedings would resume in January because of his availability and that of other legal representatives involved in the case.

Speaking outside court, Magashule expressed frustration with the delays and again questioned the case against him. He maintained he and his legal team have been ready to proceed and said he wants to hear the evidence of witnesses called by the state.

“It’s really a waste of time. I don’t even know who the witnesses are. I don’t know what the charge is about – oversight, what? Is it not fabricated charges? But let’s wait and see.”

Magashule maintained the prosecution was politically motivated and believes the trial will support his claim. He indicated he may approach the National Director of Public Prosecutions over the matter and argued that the prolonged proceedings are also interfering with his political activities and ACT’s campaigning.

“We can’t even focus on our campaign because you always have to think, when is this nonsense coming to an end? I will prove beyond any doubt that this case is so political.”

The state alleges the asbestos project was tainted by corruption and other criminal conduct. A total of 18 individuals and corporate entities face more than 70 charges, including fraud, theft, attempted theft, corruption and money laundering arising from the multimillion-rand contract.

 ACT leader Ace Magashule appeared in the Free State High Court. Photo: Kekeletso Mosebetsi

Other accused include businessman Edwin Sodi, former Free State human settlements MEC Olly Mlamleli, former departmental head Nthimotse Mokhesi and former supply chain director Mahlomola Matlakala. Businessmen Sello Radebe, Abel Manyeki and Albertus Venter, as well as former national human settlements director-general Thabane Zulu, are also among the accused.

Former Free State human settlements HOD, Nthimotse Mokhesi (accused 1), also appeared in the Free State High Court. Photo: Kekeletso Mosebetsi

The accused were previously granted bail ranging from R50,000 to R500,000. Magashule continued to deny wrongdoing and said he wanted the matter to proceed so the evidence can be tested in court.

The case is scheduled to return to the Free State High Court on 18 January.

OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi sm

• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline on 066 487 1427.

@ 2026 OFM - All rights reserved Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | We Use Cookies - OFM is a division of Central Media Group (PTY) LTD.