On Now
Weekdays 12:00 - 15:00
At Lunch Pulane
Show Background
NEXT: 15:00 - 18:00 The Joyride with Nico, Nikki and JayBee
Listen Live Streams

Central SA

Free State government appeals for calm as tensions flare over solar project jobs

───   KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 11:36 Tue, 19 May 2026

Free State government appeals for calm as tensions flare over solar project jobs | News Article
Free State premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae addressing residents during unrests over labour allocations at solar plant in Matjhabeng. Photo: Facebook

The Free State provincial government has appealed for calm in Phomolong, Hennenman, following unrest linked to job allocation disputes at the Middelpunt solar project.

The area has experienced protests since last week as residents expressed dissatisfaction over labour allocations at the solar plant. They raised concerns about the implementation of the 60% local labour allocation policy. Many residents have not benefited from employment opportunities linked to the development, they said.

On Sunday (17/5), Matjhabeng mayor Thanduxolo Khalipha said the municipality had seen significant benefits from the approximately R5bn solar energy investment. 

Opportunities

“There are a lot of people who benefited here in Matjhabeng, some get employment, some get business opportunities. Even on this one, our people are going to get job opportunities, some business.  But we want to put it very clear, we want to condemn some of the things which have been happening in our city,” he said.

“Localism, where people will go all out (protesting), when this project started in Virginia and Odendaalsrus, I went to Virginia, where our people were saying people who are going to get opportunities must be only people from Virginia. We said no to that.”  


The provincial government said it remained committed to addressing residents’ concerns in a “structured, timely and constructive manner”, said premier spokesperson Mpho Sikisi. “The provincial government acknowledges the deep frustration expressed by many community members, a significant number of whom are unemployed.

“The Phomolong community members have alleged that many workers from outside the area have been brought in to work on the local solar panel project currently under construction.”

Acting premier Jabu Mbalula is expected to meet with investors on Tuesday to engage directly on the matter. Following the engagement, Mbalula is expected to convene a feedback meeting with residents on Wednesday to provide updates and possible resolutions.

Meanwhile, the DA in the Free State has blamed the unrest on internal ANC disputes. Residents of Hennenman had a right to access jobs created by companies operating in their area, said provincial leader Dr Roy Jankielsohn.

Similar opportunities had not been made available in other projects across Matjhabeng, he added. “The mayor has receded to the request by residents, even though the premier attempted to intervene and requested him to allow people of Phomolong access to job opportunities created by (local) solar projects.


“This is obviously ANC infighting, and it is having an impact on the community and is the root cause of the unrest in Phomolong.“

In her state of the province address in February, premier Maqueen Letsoha-Mathae said the province was positioning itself as a national leader in renewable energy investment.

The province, through the department of trade, industry and competition, was tracking 29 renewable energy projects with investments exceeding R100bn, driven largely by private sector participation.

“Ongoing and planned projects like the Khauta Solar Project, Springbok solar plant, and Mulilo battery energy storage project continue to transform our landscape for the better,” she said.

OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi dg

• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline: 066 487 1427.

@ 2026 OFM - All rights reserved Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | We Use Cookies - OFM is a division of Central Media Group (PTY) LTD.