Central SA
Metsimaholo says Sasolburg pump station repaired as sewage dispute continues─── KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 13:51 Wed, 19 Aug 2026
Metsimaholo municipality says repairs to a Sasolburg pump station blamed for sewage entering the Leeuwspruit have been completed.
AfriForum had claimed that untreated sewage had been reported at least six times without the pollution being stopped. The organisation said the Leeuwspruit flows into the Vaal River about 4km downstream and demanded action to prevent further discharges.
AfriForum’s Sasolburg branch called for repairs near Waterkant Street and asked the municipality to investigate alleged sewage discharges from private properties into public spaces. It also wants municipal bylaws enforced where necessary and requested details of corrective measures taken to resolve the pollution.
AfriForum district coordinator Alta Pretorius criticised the municipality’s handling of previous complaints, arguing that raw sewage was still entering the stream despite repeated reports. The organisation threatened legal action if the municipality failed to address the problem by Tuesday (18/8).

Metsimaholo spokesperson Gino Albert rejected claims that the municipality had ignored the sewage problem. A pump station was identified as the source of the Waterkant Street discharge and refurbishment work started about a month ago. Repairs were completed on Friday (14/8) and the station has since been fully operational.
During the repairs, a combination truck was used to reduce inflow into the pump station while a temporary pump supported operations. The relevant sewer lines were also cleaned. Albert said the municipality’s approach was aimed at resolving the underlying infrastructure problem rather than responding only to individual sewage spillages.
“The municipality’s approach has been to address the underlying infrastructure problem rather than merely responding to individual reports of spillage. The refurbishment of the affected pump station has since been completed.”
Cleaning of the affected area is still under way while the municipality finalises an internal incident report. The document is expected to assess the incident and the municipality’s response, including the possible environmental impact. Metsimaholo says it will release verified information once the assessment has been completed.
The municipality has not yet provided an estimate of how much untreated sewage entered the Leeuwspruit. Albert said it would be premature to speculate about the volume or environmental impact before the internal reporting process has been finalised.

Metsimaholo also said it has not received a formal report or verified information about alleged sewage discharges from privately owned properties into public spaces. Specific properties or incidents brought formally to its attention can be investigated under municipal bylaws and other applicable legislation.
The municipality maintained remedial work was completed before AfriForum’s deadline. AfriForum, however, continued to demand measures to prevent further pollution and wanted the municipality held accountable for complaints about untreated sewage entering the Leeuwspruit.
OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi sm
• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline on 066 487 1427.
