CentralSA

Students die from cough syrup 'drinks'

───   13:50 Wed, 28 Oct 2020

Students die from cough syrup 'drinks' | News Article

Two female students from the Vaal University of Technology have died after mixing and drinking alcohol and cough syrup.


One of the victims, from Sebokeng, died at a friend's room, soon after she showed signs of not feeling well. The second victim died at her student residence. 

Police spokesperson, Busisiwe Sango, has confirmed the incident, adding the two girls were first spotted drinking this mixture at a friend's place in Vanderbijlpark. 

According to Sango, there is a trend in the Vaal Triangle where young people are mixing the cough syrup with cooldrinks, to produce alcohol with the intention of getting drunk. 

She says, however, the two deaths are the first of its kind to be reported in Southern Gauteng.


OFM News/Paila Chauke

@ 2021 OFM - All rights reserved Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | We Use Cookies - OFM is a division of Central Media Group (PTY) LTD.


  Visit the official Covid-19 Portal  More Information
Visit the official Covid-19 Portal
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more