Central SA
Youth hands memorandum to FS municipality─── 16:08 Thu, 24 Jun 2021
Various political youth organisations took to the streets of Parys in the Free State on Thursday to picket for opportunities for the youth.
The deputy coordinator of the event, Stephen Mosotho, tells OFM News that over 300 people showed up to picket and witness the handover of the memorandum. The coordinator of the event, Edgar Legoale, says the purpose of the picket was to hand over a memorandum to the Speaker of the Ngwathe Municipality, Nneheng Mopedi, and the Ngwathe Municipal Mayor, Joey Mochela, highlighting various youth-driven demands. Mosotho says the municipality has seven days to answer the memorandum.
One of the purposes of handing over the memorandum is to get the attention of the council to support various issues faced by the youth, says Legoale.
Mosotho tells OFM News that the memorandum consists mostly of youth-orientated demands and highlights service delivery issues as well. Legoale says their demands include the payment of outstanding student registrations; jobs for the youth; economic opportunities for the youth; the establishment of a rehab centre; sports, arts, and culture opportunities; a youth policy; and the establishment of a youth directorate.
The town of Parys is also the hometown of the former Free State premier and African National Congress (ANC) Secretary-General, Ace Magashule, who was suspended last month after failing to step down over corruption charges against him. Magashule appeared in the Gauteng High Court on Thursday after an application was brought by the suspended ANC Secretary-General against the party.
OFM News/Blaine Jones
