Central SA
North West MEC urges calm after alleged violation of learner─── KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 11:00 Tue, 17 Feb 2026
The North West department of education has called for calm following an incident in which a learner was allegedly violated at Waterkloof Hills Primary School in Rustenburg.
On Wednesday morning (11/2), the parents of the victim reported the matter, involving a boy in Grade 1 and another in Grade 4, to the school principal. They claimed their son had been violated by another learner in the school’s bathrooms the day before.
The school management suspended the alleged perpetrator, said North West education spokesperson Vuyo Mantshule.
“The department views the incident at Waterkloof Hills Primary School as a serious and sensitive matter,” added education MEC Viola Motsumi. “I therefore urge everyone to allow the law to take its cause.
Investigation
“I (urge) people who do not have children at Waterkloof Hills Primary School to refrain from going to the school (so that) teaching and learning (may continue) without any disturbance.”
The department has initiated its own investigation into the matter to find out exactly what happened. It will also provide psychosocial support to the affected learners, teachers, and parents.
The alleged perpetrator, who his parents will accompany, is expected to attend a disciplinary hearing scheduled for Monday (23/2).
Meanwhile, a bullying incident was reported at President Mangope Technical School in Tlhabane near Rustenburg. Details of the incident, which allegedly occurred during a school break on Thursday (12/2), have been circulating on social media.
‘Two girls assaulting the boy’
Two girls allegedly locked themselves inside a classroom with a boy. A video shared online allegedly shows the two girls assaulting the boy. Another learner reportedly unlocked the door, allowing the boy to escape and other learners to intervene.
The fight was eventually stopped, and the two alleged perpetrators, along with the victim, were taken to the principal’s office. The school management suspended all three, said Mantshule. “The learners will be subjected to a school disciplinary process.”
Motsumi condemned the incident and reiterated violence and bullying wouldn’t be tolerated in schools. “Fighting among learners is totally not allowed in our schools. Any learner found to have violated the rights of other learners will face the full might of the law.”
The school governing body invited the learners involved, along with their parents, to attend a disciplinary hearing scheduled to take place at the school this week.
The department has appealed for calm in both matters, assuring the public appropriate disciplinary and legal processes are underway while measures are being put in place to support affected learners and ensure teaching and learning continue without disruption.
• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline: 066 487 1427.
OFM News dg

