Central SA
Calls for Madlanga intervention into R255m asbestos corruption case grow─── KEKELETSO MOSEBETSI 10:59 Sat, 22 Aug 2026
Supporters of former Free State premier and African Congress for Transformation (ACT) leader Ace Magashule are calling for the Mandlanga Commission of Inquiry to intervene in the long-running R255 million asbestos corruption case.
ACT members gathered outside the Free State High Court on Thursday (20/8), expressing frustration over continued delays in the controversial matter. They said the case had consistently targeted their leader and was now affecting the party’s campaigning plans.
Free State High Court Judge Phillip Loubser postponed the case to 18 January, extending the legal battle that has followed Magashule for more than six years. ACT secretary-general Ntandokazi Ngoma-Mbutuma said the delays and legal complications surrounding the case raised questions that needed to be thoroughly investigated.
“What we want to expose in this matter, you have to look into it; it’s been dragging for more than six years. You’ve heard Cholota’s part of the case where she was extradited unlawfully.
“You’ve seen there have been too many technicalities that are happening around this case to show it was just rushed to charge our president. You all know exactly why he was charged, when he was SG of the ANC. You know exactly what they were trying to stop.”
She accused Magashule’s political rivals during his tenure as ANC secretary-general of fearing the influence he wielded within the party. She said Magashule challenged several influential leaders and was ultimately pushed out of the political mainstream.
“What we want to expose is the political persecution of our president. All we want now is for the truth to finally come out. Due process must be in place; he must not be frustrated and delayed; justice delayed is justice denied.
“So what we want now, maybe a commission of inquiry because the courts are not doing what we want, to finally find a resolution to this asbestos case.”
The asbestos matter has become one of the most significant legal challenges of Magashule’s political career. The former Free State premier and ANC secretary-general has previously acknowledged the case has affected his political career and tarnished his image.
At the height of his political influence, Magashule was regarded as one of the most powerful political figures in the Free State and within the ANC nationally. His supporters now say the prolonged court proceedings have continued to weigh on his political ambitions.
Magashule is seeking a return to mainstream politics and is reportedly setting his sights on a mayoral position in one of the Free State municipalities.
ACT members argue the prolonged proceedings have prevented the matter from reaching a final resolution and want the Mandlanga Commission to examine the circumstances surrounding the case.
Co-accused and former Free State human settlements official, Olly Mlamleli, also called for Mandlanga to intervene in the asbestos corruption case.
OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi dg
• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline: 066 487 1427.



