Central SA
Defence department recovers R1.6bn in corruption crackdown─── REFILWE BEKANE 10:00 Thu, 19 Feb 2026
“Accountability cannot be selective; it must be decisive, and it must reach everywhere.”
With these words deputy defence and military veterans minister Bantu Holomisa confirmed more R1.6 billion linked to corruption and financial mismanagement within the department of defence has been recovered. During the Sona debate held on Monday (17/2), he said the recovery follows intensive investigations by the Special Investigating Unit, the Hawks, and the military police.
The government of national unity is prioritising accountability and the restoration of integrity within the armed forces, he said, welcoming the president’s proclamation authorising the unit to investigate these matters.

The government of national unity is prioritising accountability and the restoration of integrity within the armed forces. Photo: Bantu Holomisa
Holomisa welcomed the president’s proclamation authorising the SIU to investigate these matters, asserting accountability must be decisive and reach all levels of the department.
Accountability must be decisive and reach all levels of the department, he said. “Corruption and maladministration have not merely touched the state; they have engulfed it, reaching even to our law enforcement agencies.”
The recovery efforts align with long-standing investigations into large-scale procurement fraud. One such national case involves Gen. Nontobeko Mpaxa, who was allegedly involved in a scheme that defrauded the military of approximately R100m between 2007 and 2013.
The investigation was on the irregular issuance of purchase orders for ration packs.

Gen. Nontobeko Mpaxa, who was allegedly involved in a scheme that defrauded the military of approximately R100m. Photo: Nontobeko Mpaxa
The allegations suggested Mpaxa operated private entities, specifically Thabisa Sihle Holdings and Kusile Products, which supplied the military while she held a senior command position.
Although she faced 13 specific charges and was arrested in 2017, the military lifted her suspension last year. This allowed her to retire with a full pension intact before the judicial process reached a conclusion.
Holomisa reiterated the department is now working closely with the security cluster to accelerate prosecutions and address the backlog of military cases.
Public trust
“The rod did not spare the department of defence either; that is why we acknowledge the president’s decision to sign the proclamation authorising the SIU to investigate these matters and more.”
By moving decisively to protect the image and resources of the defence force, the government aims to restore public trust.
•Het jy ’n nuuswenk om te deel? Bel of whatsapp die OFM Nuuslyn: 066 487 1427.

