Central SA
Kimberley mine disaster search enters day 5─── REFILWE BEKANE 12:30 Sat, 21 Feb 2026
The search for five miners trapped underground at the Ekapa Mine has entered its fifth day, as rescue teams battle persistent mud and water inflows.
The miners were caught in a mud incident earlier this week. Since then, specialised teams have been working around the clock to pump out vast quantities of sludge and water.
However, progress has been hampered by the scale of the disaster. Officials said the rate of water entering the shaft has frequently matched or exceeded the rate of pumping.

The rate of water entering the shaft has frequently matched or exceeded the rate of pumping. Photo: Northern Cape Provincial Government
Mineral resources and petroleum minister Gwede Mantashe, along with provincial leadership, visited the site to assess the operation on Friday (20/2). Following an underground inspection, Mantashe urged the mine management to maintain constant and transparent communication with the affected families.
He said while the mission remains a rescue operation, the severity of the mud rush and the time elapsed since the incident began suggest a grim reality.
“We must be realistic,” said Mantashe, indicating that after days in such conditions, the mission may eventually face a presumption of death, though efforts to reach the men will not cease.
Priscilla Damun, the wife of one of the trapped workers, expressed the emotional toll of the wait. “The waiting is driving me crazy. I just want my husband. I just want to see him,” she said during a community prayer vigil.
Representatives from Numsa confirmed rescue teams recently drilled into the affected area to install cameras. While the cameras have yet to detect signs of life, the union emphasised the safety of the rescue workers, who are colleagues of the trapped men, remains a priority as they navigate the unstable environment.
Formal investigation
According to reports, despite the presumption of death mentioned by officials, Ekapa General Manager Howard Marsden confirmed the operation has not yet been reclassified as a retrieval mission.
He confirmed a formal investigation by the chief inspector of mines will commence once the men are removed from the shaft. For now, the focus remains on lowering water levels to allow physical access to the site.
• Have a news tip to share? Phone or whatsapp the OFM News Hotline: 066 487 1427.


